A Time for Everything
3:1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh;a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 5 a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 6 a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 7 a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 8 a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.
Brianna and I came home from karate this morning, and were sitting at the dining table enjoying our mid-morning snack. I looked out the glass doors and saw orange oranges on our two trees just a couple of feet from our deck (as opposed to seeing green oranges for some time).
As seems to be the new norm around here, the Lord used His creation to illustrate a point to me. Everything has it's season. E-V-E-R-Y thing.
I have never seen oranges on the trees in the yard before. This time last year David and I were courting...I didn't spend much time at this house last year. When I was in town I stayed at his mom's house. But, quite honestly, we spent a lot of time running the roads. Trips to Atlanta and Alabama, meeting for dinner and a walk on the beach in Daytona, and driving around Orlando.
I am very aware today of how each season brings it's own fruit. Not just on the tree, although it does help bring the point home... My single season did not bear the fruit of my young married season. My season of being married AND a new mother produced different fruit than being married without a child. Being a widow was certainly a season of MUCH fruit...all different kinds of fruit! And now, I'm back in the season of being newly married, although this time I have a pre-teen and hope for more children.
Today I realized I had been grumbling and complaining about not being in EXACTLY the season I want to be in. I found myself convicted. As much as I am so enjoying this new season...I am still discontent nonetheless. I want to have a little boy who has David's nose...I see him in my dreams...and I have been discontent with God's timing, or even His provision. Who am I to think God SHOULD give me that little boy NOW? (or ever!)
Not getting what I want in my timing produced all kinds of bad fruit...discontentment, fear, and arrogance for sure!
BUT GOD in His kindness revealed my sin to me...
Lord, thank You for Your mercy! Thank You for not leaving me where I was, but for spurring me on to love and good works! Thank You for being ALL I need! Thank You for setting me free from the power of sin...now I can CHOOSE to trust You in all circumstances. How kind You are Daddy!
And to quote a most beloved song: All of You is more than enough for all of me, for every thirst and every need, You satisfy me with Your love and all I have in You is more than enough...
Thank You for being more than enough Lord! Thank You that children are a gift from Your hand, but they will never compare to Your gift of salvation...And IF You choose to give me more children I only want them in Your time. Just like with marrying David...I wanted it years ago, but I am POSITIVE that any day before March 1, 2008 would NOT have been YOUR day for us. Help me to remember that Your timing is worth waiting for and that You know what I need, and what I need to do without. I love you Lord! Thank You for seasons, and fruit in the right time!

2 comments:
Colleen, thank you for this wonderful reminder that God's timing is perfect! As I was reading your post I was reminded of the story of Hannah who longed to have a child, a son. She was anxious and vexed to the point of not eating, but when she laid her request before God and knew that the granting of a son would ultimately be for God's glory, she went and ate, proving her peace and trust in God. Thank you for being an example of surrendering to God's timing and plans. He is faithful!
I just love you.....I can't believe I've known you for SO LONG! I still very much treasure all the memories with you and how many SEASONS I've been able to share with you. You are a very special lady and very dear to my heart, you had such a significant part in my over-all faith and a lot of that was indirect, but most of it was your faithfulness to pray. It's so cool that God has let me be a part of your motherhood, your season as a widow, your season as a newly-wed, and in the future and in His timing, the season of you being a mother again. I just love you so much and as is the theme song of your life...."He has been faithful, He will be again...."
Can't wait for that season of you being a mommy again---hooray!! it will come in God's timing!!!
Post a Comment