Friday, June 13, 2008

Tony Lettieri

This is a picture of Tony Lettieri, a young man I never met, and his mom, Susan, who I met once 15+ years ago.

I received an email from Tony's dad, Joe (who I can't help but think of as Joey) - someone I graduated high school with in 1988...and who I have only seen once since graduation - which was also the time I met Susan. It was at church in Manorville, NY during the holidays, the year I cannot remember for sure.

Anyway, there have been a lot of emails going back and forth with different classmates because our 20 year reunion is this year...and amidst the "hurry up and send your money" emails came the only email I remember seeing from Joey...simply it stated that his "beautiful son" had passed away, and to please pray. SO, before I go on, please pray for the Lettieri family, they have had a huge loss. Sweet Tony had a 2 year battle with leukemia.

I have since gone to CaringBridge and read the whole story, 2 years worth...What an awesome family! To walk 2 years through a horrible illness with your child and have the sweet, peaceful countenance Susan does...Only GOD can do that!

You can read more here:

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewMyStory.do?method=executeInit

So many thoughts have been flooding my brain...but I will only share one or two that are most prominent.

The thought that most overwhelms me right now "How AWESOME God is." I don't mean "cool", I mean "awe inspiring". I stand in awe of how BIG God is. Someone I went to school with for 2 years, who I haven't seen in over 15 years - when I was not even a Christian! - now, today, is someone the Lord has called me to pray for. And not just to pray, but to pray as someone who KNOWS loss. As someone who KNOWS how faithful God is because I have been through the fire and SEEN Him faithful through it all.

I am in awe of the great privilege God has given me to be such a person. (One who can testify to HIS faithfulness.)

I am in awe of His tapestry of grace, who crossed my string of life with Joey's 20 years ago and today has crossed it again...for HIS glory.

My mind is racing, wondering who else God is calling to pray for this family today, even though they have not been part of Joey or Susan's life in decades...or maybe even who have NEVER met Joey and Susan. Maybe it's YOU! Maybe God has designed me to ramble so that YOU will read this and be called to pray for them.

Again, I see the tapestry...Who will you tell about this family? Who will they tell? How many millions of people will be praying? All because GOD is sovereign and is the Master Weaver.

I all of a sudden find myself wondering just how many people prayed for me when my Tony died. I know there were people around the world - who I still don't know - because I had friends tell me their friend in ____ was praying for us...during Tony's illness and after his homegoing. It seems like every time I turn around there is someone who hears about my story and says "YOU'RE the one!" Huh??? "So-and-so told me about you when your husband was sick, and I prayed for his healing, and I prayed for you and your baby." And I get to stand there, radiating with the joy of the Lord, and tell that person "God has been faithful!"

Not only have we survived, but we have flourished! Brianna has had a relationship ALL HER OWN with the Lord from a VERY young age. I have been able to minister to SO many people who experience loss. God gave me a desire for Brianna to be homeschooled, and HE has provided for that ALL these years...even when I wasn't the one instructing her! The fruit of His faithfulness is SO evident in our lives!

Even now, 10-1/2 years later, God continues to be faithful in all areas of our life. The man Brianna and I cried out to the Lord about (separately) asking for years "Why can't he be the one???" IS the one! I have the dearest, sweetest husband. Brianna finally has a daddy! And I am SO grateful that each and every day God is faithful to show me just how specifically He designed David for me, and for Brianna.

It seems like all the wishes Brianna has made in her short life are being granted, one by one. She has a daddy, she lives in a wonderful home on a big piece of property in the woods, she has a pool, and, as of Sunday, she has her first ever PUPPY! (You can see his picture on the family blog: www.david-and-colleen.blogspot.com).

The only thing missing right now are the baby brothers and sisters! (Lord, any time you want to send them is good for us!)

Now, lest I be misunderstood...God is not faithful because He gives us things...He is faithful because HE IS GOD and He cannot be unfaithful. He was just as faithful when I had my miscarriage, and when Tony died as He was when He united David and I as man and wife.

It is so fun, though, that in His faithfulness He is also generously showering us with those things that have been on our hearts for years and years!

Are you looking for the tapestry? Do you see His masterful design that includes your string of life? Do you see the evidences of His grace in your life? In the lives of those around you? Are you waiting with great anticipation to be used? Isn't is so exciting to wonder just whose string He will cross with yours next? And what a beautiful tapestry He is making!

Thanks for sticking around until the end of my rambling...I hope you are excited about God's amazing grace as I am!

No comments: