
Sit Still
"Ye shall not go out with haste" (Isa. 52:12).
I do not believe that we have begun to understand the marvelous power there is in stillness. We are in such a hurry--we must be doing--so that we are in danger of not giving God a chance to work. You may depend upon it, God never says to us, "Stand still," or "Sit still," or "Be still," unless He is going to do something.
This is our trouble in regard to our Christian life; we want to do something to be Christians when we need to let Him work in us. Do you know how still you have to be when your likeness is being taken?
Now God has one eternal purpose concerning us, and that is that we should be like His Son; and in order that this may be so, we must be passive. We hear so much about activity, may be we need to know what it is to be quiet. --Crumbs
Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Nor deem these days--these waiting days--as ill!
The One who loves thee best, who plans thy way,
Hath not forgotten thy great need today!
And, if He waits, 'tis sure He waits to prove
To thee, His tender child, His heart's deep love.
Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Thou longest much to know thy dear Lord's will!
While anxious thoughts would almost steal their way
Corrodingly within, because of His delay
Persuade thyself in simple faith to rest
That He, who knows and loves, will do the best.
Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
Nor move one step, not even one, until
His way hath opened. Then, ah then, how sweet!
How glad thy heart, and then how swift thy feet
Thy inner being then, ah then, how strong!
And waiting days not counted then too long.
Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
What higher service could'st thou for Him fill?
'Tis hard! ah yes! But choicest things must cost!
For lack of losing all how much is lost!
'Tis hard, 'tis true! But then--He giveth grace
To count the hardest spot the sweetest place.
--J. D. Smith
This was my devotional for yesterday from "Streams in the Desert". It so applies to some things going on right now for me, and for Brianna. One of us wants to move on to the next stage already and is having trouble waiting for God to finish His work "here". And one of us wants to stay put and is having trouble waiting for God to reveal whether His work "here" is about to be complete or not...In either case we are daughters who are having trouble sitting calmly still!
We had a long talk this morning about this struggle...and how kind is it of God to bring this devotional in to our lives at just this moment, though I have known about it longer than Brianna has been alive!
We are two ladies who often make things harder than they need to be. "Simple" is not in our genetic makeup...Doing "just one thing" is seemingly impossible most days! Although, I will say, God has been growing us in that area. BUT, there were two lines in the poem that reminded us that there is a simple answer to the question "How do I sit calmly still and wait?"
Persuade thyself in simple faith to rest
That He, who knows and loves, will do the best.
We simply remember who God is, and have faith that He knows, He loves, and He will do the best!
As challenging as we found it reading, and re-reading this poem, we always found solace in the last two lines...
'Tis hard, 'tis true! But then--He giveth grace
To count the hardest spot the sweetest place.
Once again, I was reminded that being a widow for 10 years was hard...but God gave me the grace to walk through it, and what seemed like the hardest place while I was there DOES seem like the sweetest place I've been in my life now because it was there that He performed such an amazing transformation...making me more like His Son.
So, whether I'm waiting to know if I can go forward, or I'm waiting to see if I can stay put, I know that the Lord will be faithful to give me the grace to walk through whatever He deems best for me...And I know He will give me the grace to wait for His path to be revealed...if I will just DO IT.
7 comments:
Hi Mrs Moore,
This is Karah.I was looking at Candaces blog and I saw yours on the favorite blog list.I like the backround you put up,its pretty.Hope you hade a good weekend.
-Karah
Thanks Karah! I did have a good weekend, how about you?
Love you sweet girl! =D
I had a great weekend !
I had a great weekend.
I had a great weekend.I have a blog if you ever want to go to it here's the address.
www.marksofthetruechristian.blogspot.com
-Karah
Thank you so much for posting this reminder to be still. It is something I also continually struggle with. (escpecially when there is so much to be done:) The Lord is slowly teaching me the difference of waiting on Him rather than just having a devotion to check it off the list.
I am praying for you and Bri. I wish that I could be present in her life now, as she grows into a young woman of God, but I can pray!! Love you guys!!!!
Post a Comment